Finding an evidence-based approach to healing chronic disease may have sparked your interest in functional medicine. While conventional allopathic medicine works well for acute disease, infection, and trauma, the best functional medicine doctors are breaking new ground by seeking the root cause of chronic illness and supporting the body’s self-healing systems.
There are many holistic and alternative healing practices which go by a variety of names and have varying levels of scientific evidence behind them. To answer the question “What is functional medicine?” we can start by delving into the science and philosophy behind this enlightened model of modern healthcare.
What Is the Functional Medicine Philosophy?
Functional medicine views the body as an interconnected system rather than treating organs in isolation. Some of the core beliefs of functional medicine include:
- The body has the ability to self-regulate and restore balance between its digestion, hormone, and immunity/inflammation systems.
- Body systems in balance have the ability to prevent the diseases associated with aging and heal from environmental challenges.
- Supporting optimal functioning of the body is more effective than masking the symptoms of illness with drugs.
- Treating the root causes of disease means looking deeper than the diseased organ or system, using the latest technology in clinical testing.
- Spending time learning about patients is essential to healing their conditions.
- Most triggers of complex, chronic disease are environmental rather than genetic and can be resolved with changes to diet, lifestyle, or environment.
What Medical Conditions Respond Best to Functional Medicine?
By looking deeply to determine the underlying cause of symptoms, your functional medicine chiropractor or doctor may resolve the complex, chronic conditions that conventional doctors have struggled to cure.
By strengthening and supporting your body’s systems, many of these conditions are successfully treated or prevented:
- Chronic fatigue and undiagnosed pain
- Migraines and cluster headaches
- Insomnia, stress, depression, and anxiety
- Fertility issues and low libido
- Digestive and metabolic disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Autoimmune diseases
- Allergies and asthma
- Hormonal challenges, including perimenopause, menopause, and PCOS
What Diagnostic Tools Are Used?
A wide variety of diagnostic lab tests will inform your doctor’s diagnosis. After spending time learning about your unique lifestyle, medical history, and concerns, the right combination of lab tests will be ordered.
Tests may include blood, urine, stool, and/or DNA testing. Functional medicine takes advantage of the latest technology to fully understand the whole person before recommending treatment.
What Treatments Are Used?
After evaluating the test results, your doctor will recommend specific therapies to return your body to optimal function, possibly including:
- Botanical or herbal medicines
- Detoxification or cleansing programs
- Prescription medicines, if necessary
- Hyperbaric chamber treatments
- Chelation therapy
- Chiropractic care
- Acupuncture or acupressure
- Therapeutic massage
- Yoga or exercise programs
- Nutritional supplements
- A diet rich in foods which reduce inflammation and oxidative stress
Functional Medicine Is All About You
Wellness is not just the absence of disease, but a daily feeling of health and well-being. Functional medicine provides the body with balance and strength from the inside out by healing the root causes of disease to foster your true vitality.
At Pollack Wellness Institute, we strive to bring a supportive and personalized approach to all of our patient relationships. Meet with our wellness center team today and choose one of the best functional medicine doctors in New York to partner with you on your path to wellness. Call now to experience our proactive approach to healing!